Sunday, July 13, 2008

Dreams


Ever since I was a little kid I've had dreams that came true. Usually it's banal stuff, like I'll dream that someone I haven't seen in awhile walks up to me carrying a stack of brown dinner plates, and the next day that person will walk up to me out of nowhere carrying a stack of brown dinner plates. But sometimes it's bigger stuff. Thursday night I dreamt I was back in Minnesota, where I went to rehab, and I saw a massive tornado funneling down from the sky. It followed me everywhere I went. Last night I got an email from a guy I was in rehab with who lives in Minnesota. On Friday, a tornado touched down on him. The email read: "We owned the trailer home that the woman with 2 children were in when it basically disengrated around them.... I was actually out in the shed with the cows when the roof was ripped off over me, I really should be dead. But I am fine, just had to pull out about an inch of metal out of my foot that I stepped on."

I've noticed that these dreams are always clearer and more prevalent when I'm sober. I guess it's another reason to stay off the drugs, but there is no way to put them to any use. The guy who ran the cult my Dad joined when he left us told him that I was destined to be a prophet. I know that was just his way of keeping my Dad immersed in the organization, but maybe he was on to something!
Juuuuuust kidding, I'm not that delusional. Despite what some of you must think.

1 comment:

flotsam said...

do you remember being left in the basement in virginia when the tornado watch happened? i don't. but i've had dreams of them since then. before new orleans flooded, i made a comic story in a diary of a flooded city. "canal street is now a canal" i wrote. at blueberries i got a premonition falling over me like a wave, it was a dream i'd had. the next day, we got the call.