Tuesday, March 10, 2009

"Come Fold Your Black Wings Over Me"


Sorry I've been such a bummer lately. It's really up and down, and now suddenly I'm in an up moment. I just got a CD in the mail from a guy I went to college with named Nick McCarthy. He was a junior when I was a freshman and he was one of the most beautiful men on campus (evidence above).

My friends and I called him Nick Cave because we only ever saw him at The Cave, which was a once weekly open mic event in the basement of the liberal arts building at Purchase. Mostly it was a bunch of people on heroin, drinking and rolling around on the stage in the dark, reciting bad poetry. But sometimes bands would play, including my favorite, US Hairforce. Nick played drums, and they sounded so much like how it feels to be on drugs that they were my soundtrack through all of college. They disbanded after a few years and all I had were a few shitty audio cassette recordings of them, and the past few years I've been afraid to even touch those tapes for fear of disintegration or breakage. But thanks to Facebook I found Nick and he sent me a CD full of US Hairforce songs that I've been blissing out to ever since the mailman came.

And they don't even make me trigger happy. Just nostalgic, and sad about all the people who were so insanely instrumental to my development who are now dead because of drugs. Oh no, I'm back to being down!! Up up up up up!

.

No comments: