Thursday, April 2, 2009

Krull and the Fear of Vagina Dentata

I'm really catching up on my cinema this week! Last night I also watched Krull, a sci-fi/fantasy flick staring Liam Neeson and a bunch of unknowns who were trying to capitalize on films like Conan, Clash of the Titans and Beastmaster. The best thing it had going for it was a genuinely creepy scene with a giant spider trying to attack an old wise man. I think the reason the scene worked is because the spider was skinny and white, which is far more repulsive than thick and hairy. Which reminds me - I used to work with a woman at Toys in Babeland who had an irrational fear of white poop. The idea totally freaked her out.
Anyway, I spent the whole film picking apart its homoerotic undertones. I won't bore you with those, but I do think I need to point this out to you. Observe:

Our hero must enter this dark, mysterious and shaved cave as a boy, and emerge as a man with a tool he needs to rule the kingdom.

Inside the cave it is hot, wet and mysterious! He's terrified and doesn't quite know what to do.


It turns out that the secret he must remove from the cavern is a sharp set of teeth hidden deep inside! Once he plucks them from the moist depths he has conquered the hole, becoming a fierce warrior.

In other words, MAJOR VAGINA DENTATA SUBTEXT!!!!

No comments: