Sunday, November 28, 2010

Poor, Obscure, Plain, and Little


It's my niece's thirteenth birthday party today and I bought her a copy of one of my favorite books, Jane Eyre. This is a selfish present (wanting her to like the same things I like), so I also got her a gift card to Sephora and some Liberty of London journals, to soften the blow.

But hey, check out the timely coincidence! There's a new film version of JE coming out that not only looks as gothic and spooky as the book actually is, it even use a little bit of the score from Suspiria in it!

More trivia (and I've probably posted about this before): The movie I Walked With a Zombie is basically just a retelling of the Jane Eyre story. I tried to find a video of the scene where Betsy walks through the cornfields to the hounfort (look it up), but it's not out there. Despite its totally racist tones, it's one of the spookiest film sequences I've seen. Mainly because of the dead goat.

No comments: